Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Making a Show

So, this is the biggest show I have ever put together.

On March 22, 2008, at the American Legion Hall, at Lake Ella, Tallahassee, FL, Jim Crozier will produce:
Down to the Village, the Big Show
I can't call it a CD Release party because I released the CD last November, but it is the only show that I am really trying to get everyone from the CD on stage at once - AND there were a lot of folks who helped me put this project together.

As part of this, I have written big band arrangements for most of the tracks. "Tallahassee Swing". The Big Band will be backing up me and all of the other singers and instrumentalists from the album on songs from the album and two others that will be on the next project. In fact, I expect that the recordings we make during this show may very well be on the next release!

BUT, the logistics of the situation indicate that the chances of actually having a rehearsal with everyone are just about zero. SO, to mitigate that situation, I have produced a CD with the synth output from Finale (the arranging program) that I pulled into Sonar (a sound mixing program) and added a vocal part - me singing plus a running commentary about where the solos come in, etc. This is what I call a rehearsal demo.

Tallahassee Swing plays at the Legion Hall every Tuesday Night (and has done for over 18 years now). There are two (actually three) bass players, so I am there every other Tuesday. Tonight was not my night to play, but I produced the rehearsal CD's this past week-end, and this afternoon, I manufactured 20 copies that I distributed to the band members this evening.

The band sounded great this evening, even without me playing with them ;=)

jc

No comments: